Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sheen Brilliance?

I turned on the news...and there was Charlie Sheen. On Anderson 360 nonetheless. I went to CNN.com and...
There was Charlie Sheen.


They had a video showing Sheen talking to Piers Morgan. I have to admit, the clip was quite humorous. Listening to the first approximately 40 seconds of the clip was almost painful because not only did Charlie Sheen sound like he was high and stupid, continuously lose his train of thought, and insert those annoying "uhs" and "ums" incessantly, he looked like he was near death.

"But it's uh, no I just I I I'm on a mission right now um it's an operation actually to to to write some some terrible wrongs because there's been some things that have happened as a result of of uh you know of of of rehab and crisis management....the shows temporary suspension uh thus far and um and I just think it's important that that people hear the truth and hear it from me because I'm at the dead epicenter of every single moment...."

If that is not blatant narcissism, then please refrain from showing me a more fitting example. I just don't think I could handle it.


My issue here is that, while I enjoy watching Two and a Half Men every now and then, it doesn't mean that I want my news hour invaded with Charlie Sheen. It seems like every time I have turned on the television in the last month or so, there was Sheen. Sheen partied with sluts and cocaine. Sheen went to rehab. Sheen claims he's clean. Sheen says he is the reason the cast is paid as much as they are. Sheen Sheen Sheen, and I can't help but wonder....is this a Sheen brilliant plan?

They say any attention is good attention when you're famous. Indeed, we've all seen the tricks celebrities will play on the couch potatoes of America to drive their ratings up. But this is getting out of hand. Not only is he over-exposed in a light that makes him seem like an iconic idol whose acting career is more than it really was, but this really belongs in a certain section of the news:

Sleazy Celebrity News That Should Not be Taking Precedent Over More Serious, Important, or Otherwise Relevant Matters



I can't stress it enough. If you want to turn on the television to hear about Charlie Sheen, Lindsey Lohan, or Paris Hilton, there are celebrity TV shows for that - TMZ....I'm sure there are more. If you want to read about them, there are magazines aplenty and websites, too, for all your up-to-date information about your must-have stars.

Case in point: one of the most read articles on CNN.com the other day was about Vanessa Hudgens' new butterfly neck tattoo.................

Please, for the love of real journalism, stop shoving the lives of these losers-turned-stars (or stars-turned-losers?) in our faces when we're just trying to get our daily dose of, to quote Judy Davis' line from the 1994 movie "The Ref," "the world beyond our problems, which is now our problem."


But, in the end, I AM blogging about him, after all, and no one in America who does not live under a rock and has access to television, radio, internet, has a newspaper or magazine subscription, or otherwise utilizes any type of media can say they are unaware of the carnival that is Charlie Sheen.

Or Lindsey Lohan.

Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment